BLOCKCHAIN-BASED POISONING ATTACK PREVENTION IN SMART FARMING
Authors: Aliyu Ahmed Abubakar, Jinshuo liu, Ezekia Gilliard
Affiliation: School of Cyberscience and Engineering, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China, Department of Computer Science, Kaduna State University, Kaduna, Nigeria, School of Cyberscience and Engineering, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Keywords: Blockchain, Poisoning Attacks, Internet of Things, Smart Farming, Signature
ABSTRACT. Rapid progress and advancement in the Internet of Things (IoT) significantly affect how businesses are conducted in this 21st century. Smart Farming, also Intelligent Farming as a component of the IoT, allows agribusiness to generate high-yield income, ease of doing business, and with a favorable professional environment. Smart farming combines agribusiness competency recognition, data progression, and information collected from equipment with statistical analysis to highlight facts from the acquired information, allowing farmers to make wise decisions for greater harvest benefits. However, incorporating such cutting-edge technology necessitates the acquisition of more sophisticated safety and security majors. Thus, system safety testing may be the most important safety consideration to implement. This paper presents a blockchain-based smart farm security framework that effectively screens device status and sensor irregularities and alleviates security threats. In addition, a blockchain-based smart-contract application was developed to securely store security anomaly data and proactively moderate comparative assaults on other farms in the community. The study used the security-monitoring framework for smart farms, ESP32, AWS cloud, and the smart contract on the Ethereum Rinkeby. The performance evaluation of the proposed system revealed that our framework could identify and prevent security anomalies in real time while giving updates on the situation.
1. Dutta, S. Top 25 Agricultural Producing Countries in the World. 2020. Available online: https://www.yahoo.com/video/top-20 -agricultural-producing-countries-151350776.html?guccounter=1 (accessed on 15 July 2022).
2. Ahmed, N.; De, D.; Hussain, I. Internet of Things (IoT) for smart precision agriculture and farming in rural areas. IEEE Internet Things J. 2018, 5, 4890–4899. [CrossRef]
3. Steve, C. Cyber Threats Are a Real Threat to Modern Agriculture’s Expanding Digital Infrastructure | AgWeb. 2022. Available online: https://www.agweb.com/news/business/technology/cyber-threats-are-real-threat-modern-agricultures-expandingdigital (accessed on 13 August 2022).
4. Nicole, S. JBS Paid $11 Million to Hackers after Ransomware Attack—CBS News. 2020. Available online: https://www.cbsnews. com/news/jobs-ransom-11-million/ (accessed on 13 August 2022).
5. Badran, A.I.; Kashmoola, M.Y. Smart Agriculture Using Internet of Things: A Survey. In Proceedings of the 1st International Multi-Disciplinary Conference Theme: Sustainable Development and Smart Planning, IMDC-SDSP, Cyberspace, 28–30 June 2020; p. 10
6. Baskar, C.; Balasubramaniyan, C.; Manivannan, D. Establishment of lightweight cryptography for resource constraint environment using FPGA. Procedia Comput. Sci. 2016, 78, 165–171. [CrossRef]
7. Brewster, C.; Roussaki, I.; Kalatzis, N.; Doolin, K.; Ellis, K. IoT in agriculture: Designing a Europe-wide large-scale pilot. IEEE Commun. Mag. 2017, 55, 26–33. [CrossRef]
8. Ferrag, M.A.; Shu, L.; Yang, X.; Derhab, A.; Maglaras, L. Security and privacy for green IoT-based agriculture: Review, blockchain solutions, and challenges. IEEE Access 2020, 8, 32031–32053. [CrossRef]
9. Friha, O.; Ferrag, M.A.; Shu, L.; Maglaras, L.A.; Wang, X. Internet of Things for the Future of Smart Agriculture: A Comprehensive Survey of Emerging Technologies. IEEE CAA J. Autom. Sin. 2021, 8, 718–752. [CrossRef]
10. Mekala, M.S.; Viswanathan, P. A Survey: Smart agriculture IoT with cloud computing. In Proceedings of the 2017 international conference on microelectronic devices, circuits, and systems (ICMDCS), Vellore, India, 10–12 August 2017; pp. 1–7.
11. Li, C.; Niu, B. Design of smart agriculture based on big data and Internet of things. Int. J. Distrib. Sens. Netw. 2020, 16, 1550147720917065. [CrossRef]
12. Mondal, S.; Wijewardena, K.P.; Karuppuswami, S.; Kriti, N.; Kumar, D.; Chahal, P. Blockchain inspired RFID-based information architecture for the food supply chain. IEEE Internet Things J. 2019, 6, 5803–5813. [CrossRef]
13. Song, T.; Li, R.; Mei, B.; Yu, J.; Xing, X.; Cheng, X. A privacy-preserving communication protocol for IoT applications in smart homes. IEEE Internet Things J. 2017, 4, 1844–1852. [CrossRef]
14. Chaganti, R.; Gupta, D.; Vemprala, N. Intelligent network layer for cyber-physical systems security. Int. J. Smart Security. Technol. (IJSST) 2021, 8, 42–58. [CrossRef]
15. Chaganti, R.; Ravi, V.; Pham, T.D. Deep Learning based Cross Architecture Internet of Things malware Detection and Classification. Comput. Secure. 2022, 120, 102779. [CrossRef]
16. Geroni, D. Top 12 Smart Contract Use Cases—101 Blockchains. 2021. Available online: https://101blockchains.com/smartcontract-use-cases/ (accessed on 16 July 2022)
17. . Chaganti, R.; Bhushan, B.; Ravi, V. The role of Blockchain in DDoS attacks mitigation: Techniques, open challenges, and future directions. arXiv 2022, arXiv:2202.03617.
18. Li, X.; Wang, D.; Li, M. Convenience analysis of sustainable E-agriculture based on blockchain technology. J. Clean. Prod. 2020, 271, 122503. [CrossRef]
19. Torky, M.; Hassanein, A.E. Integrating blockchain and the internet of things in precision agriculture: Analysis, opportunities, and challenges. Comput. Electron. Agric. 2020, 178, 105476. [CrossRef]
20. Sinha, B.B.; Dhanalakshmi, R. Recent advancements and challenges of the Internet of Things in smart agriculture: A survey. Future Gener. Comput. Syst. 2022, 126, 169–184. [CrossRef]
21. Hassan, S.I.; Alam, M.M.; Illahi, U.; Al Ghamdi, M.A.; Almotiri, S.H.; Su’ud, M.M. A systematic review on monitoring and advanced control strategies in smart agriculture. IEEE Access 2021, 9, 32517–32548. [CrossRef]
22. Talavera, J.M.; Tobón, L.E.; Gómez, J.A.; Culman, M.A.; Aranda, J.M.; Parra, D.T.; Quiroz, L.A.; Hoyos, A.; Garrett, L.E. Review of IoT applications in agro-industrial and environmental fields. Comput. Electron. Agric. 2017, 142, 283–297. [CrossRef]
23. Farooq, M.S.; Riaz, S.; Abid, A.; Abid, K.; Naeem, M.A. A Survey on the Role of IoT in Agriculture for the Implementation of Smart Farming. IEEE Access 2019, 7, 156237–156271. [CrossRef]
24. Elijah, O.; Rahman, T.A.; Orikumhi, I.; Leow, C.Y.; Hindia, M.N. An overview of the Internet of Things (IoT) and data analytics in agriculture: Benefits and challenges. IEEE Internet Things J. 2018, 5, 3758–3773. [CrossRef]
25. Hari Ram, V.V.; Vishal, H.; Dhanalakshmi, S.; Vidya, P.M. Regulation of water in agriculture field using Internet Of Things. In Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE Technological Innovation in ICT for Agriculture and Rural Development (TIAR), Chennai, India, 10–12 July 2015; pp. 112–115.
26. Postolache, O.; Pereira, M.; Girão, P. Sensor network for environment monitoring: Water quality case study. In Proceedings of the 4th Symposium on Environmental Instrumentation and Measurements 2013, Lecce, Italy, 3–4 June 2013; pp. 30–34.
27. Chen, W.L.; Lin, Y.B.; Lin, Y.W.; Chen, R.; Liao, J.K.; Ng, F.L.; Chan, Y.Y.; Liu, Y.C.; Wang, C.C.; Chiu, C.H.; et al. AgriTalk: IoT for precision soil farming of turmeric cultivation. IEEE Internet Things J. 2019, 6, 5209–5223. [CrossRef]
28. Baranwal, T.; Nitika; Pateriya, P.K. Development of IoT-based smart security and monitoring devices for agriculture. In Proceedings of the 2016 6th International Conference-Cloud System and Big Data Engineering (Confluence), Noida, India, 14–15 January 2016; pp. 597–602.
29. Mukherjee, A.; Misra, S.; Raghuwanshi, N.S.; Mitra, S. Blind entity identification for agricultural IoT deployments. IEEE Internet Things J. 2018, 6, 3156–3163. [CrossRef]
30. Yadav, V.S.; Singh, A. A systematic literature review of blockchain technology in agriculture. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Toronto, ON, Canada, 23–25 October 2019; pp. 973–981.
31. Vangala, A.; Das, A.K.; Kumar, N.; Alazab, M. Smart secure sensing for IoT-based agriculture: Blockchain perspective. IEEE Sens. J. 2020, 21, 17591–17607. [CrossRef]
32. Bermeo-Almeida, O.; Cardenas-Rodriguez, M.; Samaniego-Cobo, T.; Ferruzola-Gómez, E.; Cabezas-Cabezas, R.; Bazán-Vera, W. Blockchain in agriculture: A systematic literature review. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Technologies and Innovation, Guayaquil, Ecuador, 6–9 November 2018; pp. 44–56.
33. Ferrag, M.A.; Derdour, M.; Mukherjee, M.; Derhab, A.; Maglaras, L.; Janicke, H. Blockchain technologies for the internet of things: Research issues and challenges. IEEE Internet Things J. 2018, 6, 2188–2204. [CrossRef]
34. Rehman, M.; Javaid, N.; Awais, M.; Imran, M.; Naseer, N. Cloud-based secure service providing for IoTs using blockchain. In Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), Waikoloa, HI, USA, 9–13 December 2019; pp. 1–7.
35. Voutos, Y.; Drakopoulos, G.; Mylonas, P. Smart agriculture: An open field for smart contracts. In Proceedings of the 2019 4th SouthEast Europe Design Automation, Computer Engineering, Computer Networks, and Social Media Conference (SEEDA-CECNSM), Piraeus, Greece, 20-22 September 2019; pp. 1–6
36. Pranto, T.H.; Noman, A.A.; Mahmud, A.; Haque, A.B. Blockchain and smart contract for IoT enabled smart agriculture. PeerJ Comput. Sci. 2021, 7, e407. [CrossRef]
37. Shyamala Devi, M.; Suguna, R.; Joshi, A.S.; Bagate, R.A. Design of IoT blockchain-based smart agriculture for enlightening safety and security. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Emerging Technologies in Computer Engineering, Jaipur, India, 1–2 February 2019; pp. 7–19.
38. Caro, M.P.; Ali, M.S.; Vecchio, M.; Giaffreda, R. Blockchain-based traceability in Agri-Food supply chain management: A practical implementation. In Proceedings of the 2018 IoT Vertical and Topical Summit on Agriculture-Tuscany (IOT Tuscany), Tuscany, Italy, 8–9 May 2018; pp. 1–4.
39. Vangala, A.; Sutrala, A.K.; Das, A.K.; Jo, M. Smart contract-based blockchain-envisioned authentication scheme for smart farming. IEEE Internet Things J. 2021, 8, 10792–10806. [CrossRef]